Math 300, Fall 2017 (Whyte)
2-2:50 M, TH 305 (CRN 13695)
2-2:50 W, TH 305 (CRN 13694)
Professor: Kevin Whyte
- Mathematical Sciences Learning Center
- Writing Center
- Introduction to LaTeX
- The mathematics librarian is David Dror, e-mail him to make an appointment or ask a question..
- The library resource guide for math 300
- A guideline for term papers
Assignments and Due dates (tentative)
Assignments are due by e-mail in pdf format by 4pm on Sundays.
Most weeks we will also be discussing some of what your classmates have written. Please bring a copy of the week's short assignment to class to give to a classmate, the papers with comments will be collected each week at the end of class. At the end of the semester we will be discussing drafts of the final papers together, these readings will be mailed to you in advance - please print these and write notes/comments/suggestions on them ahead of class and bring them for the discussions.
- Week 1 : Install LaTex or other typesetting software. Begin reading Read A Mathematician's Apology by G. H. Hardy
- Week 2 : Special meeting in library, Wed 9/6 at 2pm..
- Week 3 : Nim strategy write-up due.
- Week 5 : Irrationality of the square root of 2 write-up due.
- Week 6 : Reactions to Hardy due.
- Week 8 : Calculus introductions due, paper topics finalized.
- Week 9 : Paper summary/outline due.
- Week 10 : Primes or Pythagorean theorem proofs due, sign-up for presentation date.
- Week 11 : Paper drafts with bibliography due
- Last few weeks : paper presentations.
- Dec 10 : Final papers due.