Math 413 Analysis I
Instructor: David Marker
Office: 411 SEO
Office Hours: M, W: 9:00-10:30
phone: (312) 996-3069
course webpage: http://www.math.uic.edu/~marker/413.html
M. Spivak, Calculus, Publish or Perish, Inc.
Grade of C or better in Math 215 Introduction to Advanced Mathematics, or consent of instructor.
The main purpose of this course is to rigorously revisit many of the ideas and results
from Calculus I and II, including:
This is roughly Chapters 5-18 of Spivak.
- Properties of the Real Numbers
- Limits and Continuity
There will be a midterm and a final exam. The midterm will
count for 15% of the final grade. The final will count for 35% of the
final grade. All or part of the final exam may be given as a take home.
The midterm will be on Friday October 12.
Here is a sample midterm .
The final exam is scheduled
for Friday December 7 at 8:00 am.
There will be frequent homework assignments.
Almost all homework assignments will be writing proofs.
The homework will count for 50% of your final grade.
I will drop one homework grade. Late homework will be accepted up until
the begining of the next class period, but will be penalized.
You may discuss homework problems with other students, but you must write
up your solution independently. All proofs should be written neatly
with complete gramatical sentences.
The final exam will be in two parts.
- There will be a take home portion of 2 or 3 problems.
The take home will be handed out in class on Monday November 26.
It should be returned to me no later than 4:00pm on Wednesday
December 5. The take home will count as 10% of your final grade.
- The in-class portion of the final exam will be on Friday
December 7 at 8:00am. This portion of the exam will contain no proofs.
All questions will be similar in style to problem 1-3 of the midterm.
The in-class exam will count as 25% of your final grade.
- Here is the take-home
portion of the exam.
- Problem Set 1: (Due Wednesday August 29)
- Chapter 1: 20
- Chapter 2: 19
- Chapter 3: 13, 23
Problem Set 2 (Due Friday September 7)
- Problem Set 3 (Due Friday September 14) Chapter 6: 3c), 6, 7,13
- Problem Set 4 (Due Wednesday
- Problem Set 5 (Due Friday
- Problem Set 6 (Due Wednesday
- Problem Set 7 (Due Wednesday
- Problem Set 8 (Due Friday November 2) Chapter 10: 22, 25, 26, 27.
- Problem Set 9 (Due Friday November 9) Chapter 11: 27, 31, 36, 37
- Problem Set 10 (Due Friday November 16)
- Problem Set 11 (Due Wednesday November 28) Chapter 13: 15, 20, 23, 30
Last revised: 10/21/01