Math 414 Analysis II
Instructor: David Marker
Call Number: 65733
Class Meets: 1200 MWF 317 BH
Office: 411 SEO
Office Hours: M 1:30--3:00, W 9:30--11:30
phone: (312) 996-3069
course webpage: http://www.math.uic.edu/~marker/math414
- S. Abbott, Understanding Analysis, Springer.
- M. Rosenlicht, Introduction to Analysis Dover.
- Quick Tour of the topology
Supplementary notes on the topology of the reals for Math 413-414
Grade of C or better in Math 413 Analysis I, or consent of instructor.
A continuation of Math 413
rigorously revisiting many of the ideas and results
from Calculus I and II, including:
As time permits, additional topics may include metric spaces,
differential equations and Fourier series.
- Sequences of Functions
- Series and Power Series
Here is a detailed week-to-week syllabus.
As in all advanced mathematics courses, homework problem sets are an essential
part of the course. There will be roughly 12 homework assignement.
The lowest 2 problem sets will be dropped.
You may discuss homework problems with other students, but you must write
up your solution independently. All proofs should be written neatly
with complete gramatical sentences. Problem sets should be writen so
that there is room for comments on each problem.
Late homework will be accepted only in exceptional circumstances.
- There will be two midterm exams. The best of your two scores
will count for 30% of your final grade. The midterm exams will
be on Friday March 5 and Friday April 23
- The final exam will count for 40% of your final grade. Part of the final
may be a take home exam.
The final exam will be Friday May 7 at 8:00 am.
- Homework will count for 30% of your final grade. The 2
lowest homework scores will be dropped.
- Problem Set 1: (Due Friday 1/23) Exercises 7.2.2, 7.2.6, 7.3.4
- Problem Set 2: (Due Friday 1/30)
- Problem Set 3: (Due Friday 2/6)
- Problem Set 4: (Due Friday 2/13)
- Problem Set 5: (Due Friday 2/20)
- Problem Set 6: (Due Friday 2/27)
- Problem Set 7: (Due Friday 3/12) Exercises: 2.7.5, 2.7.12,
- Problem Set 8: (Due Friday 3/19) Exercises: 6.2.1, 6.2.4, 6.2.5,
- Problem Set 9: (Due Friday 4/2) Exercises: 6.2.7, 6.3.3, 6.3.4,
- Problem Set 10: (Due Friday 4/9) Exercises: 6.4.3, 6.4.7, 6.4.8,
6.5.2, 6.5.4 (NOTE: There is a typo in 6.5.4b) it should read
- Problem Set 11: (Due Friday 4/16)
- Problem Set 12: (Due Friday 4/30) [revised 4/19]
- Bonus Problem 1: Exercise 7.5..8 (Turn in by Friday 2/13)
- Bonus Problem 2 (Turn in by Friday 2/27)
- Bonus Problem 3 (Turn in by Wednesday 3/3)
- Bonus Problem 4 Exercise 6.2.13 (Turn in by Friday 4/2)
- Bonus Problem 5 Exercises 6.2.14-6.2.16 (Turn in by Friday 4/2)
David Marker's homepage
Last revised: 5/19/04