Lecturer: Roy Lowman,
office: SEO626, phone: 314-3735, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: MWF 1:00-1:50pm, held outside 320LH and 312LH.
Required, Python: Programming in Context, Miller and
Required, Computer Science an Overview, 10th
edition, J.Glenn Brookshear
We will cover roughly two chapters each week until the
Optional topics after the second midterm: Introduction to the
sequel of this course.
Projects, Exams and Quizzes:
There will be one midterm exam during the semester plus a
2-hour final exam. The midterm exam may be given in discussion to
allow for more time. Quizzes will be given in each discussion except in
an exam week. A quiz can include anything that can count toward your
discussion grade. This includes problems based on lectures, required
reading in textbooks, lab participation and attendance, problems
assigned by your TA, problems worked in class or assigned as take home
problems. The quizzes are worth 15%, the midterm exam is worth 30%
and the final exam is worth 30%.
There will be 5 projects assigned worth 20% (combined
You must submit all assigned projects to receive a grade of C
Garbage Policy: Turning in garbage on time will result in a garbage
grade. It is better to turn in a good assignment late and take a point
reduction than to turn in garbage just to meet a deadline. When you
turn in a programming project that you started the day it is due, you
are just wasting everyones time.
This adds to 95%. The remaining 5% will be used for
class attendance and participation, short/simple, important
assignments that will be given throughout the course. The
questions for the exams will focus on topics discussed in the text
in class plus problems that must be dealt with in the class projects.
You must pass the final to pass the course.
Check your college's policy for options.