Homework 2 - Nonlinear Equations
Due: Wednesday, February 2, 2000
Reading: Gerald and Wheatley, Chapter 1
- linear interpolation
- Newton's method
- Muller's method
- fixed point interation
- methods for polynomials, multiple roots, error analysis, hybrid methods
The following problems are on page 100 of the text. You should write Matlab
code for each of the methods, e.g bisection, etc.
- 1 - also graph using Matlab
- 5 - do this using Matlab and by hand using exam precision,
i.e. 4 digit chop. Compare the results.
- 11, also try starting at x=0 - what happens?, 18, 22b
- 23 and then 28
- 29, 54, 59
Sample Exam Question
For homework problems (unless text gives different instructions) and exams, you
are required to use exam precision: chop to 4 significant digits only when
you write an intermediate or final answer down and continue the calculations
with those recorded numbers.
Back to Cover Page
- Find the root of f(x)=exp(x)-3/x using the secant method for 2 iterations
beyond the starting guesses, x(1)=1.0 and x(2)=2.0. Record your answers in
a table of k, x(k), x(k-1), f(x(k)), f(x(k-1)) for each interation k.
(final answer = root=(4c) 1.049).