Math 471 - Course Syllabus
List of Topics
- Introduction; floating point arithmetic;
catastrophic cancellation; chopping and rounding errors.
- Solution of Nonlinear equations; bisection, secant and Newton's
methods; fixed-point interation; Muller's method.
- Computational linear algebra; elimination methods; LU decomposition;
norms and errors, indirect (iteration) methods; nonlinear systems.
- Interpolation and curve fitting; Legrange and Newton interpolation;
splines; least squares.
- Numerical integration; Newton-Cotes rules; Simpson's rule; Gaussian
- Numerical solution of ordinary differential equations; Euler's
method; Runge-Kutta method; multi-step methods; systems of ODEs; boundary
Gerald and Wheatley, Applied Numerical Analysis , 5 ed., 1994.
Back to Cover Page