- 2013–2017: University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science, Ph.D. in Mathematics
- 2012–2013: The University of Iowa, Department of Mathematics, Ph.D. student
- 2009–2012: Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Faculty of Natural Sciences, B.Sc. in Mathematics
- Summer 2017–present: Software Engineer, Google Research, New York, NY.
Member of the Structured Data Group in Google Research, working on computational journalism. I use machine learning, natural language processing, and information retrieval to help computers understand news and build products that will make news more informative and engaging.
- Summer 2016: Software Engineering Intern, Google, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA.
Worked on shopping ads and recognizing products in images.
Built a system that connects various computer vision tools and
incorporates semantic data to map objects found in images to
visually and semantically most similar product offers.
- Summer 2015: Software Engineering Intern, Google, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA.
Worked on Google's click-through rate prediction system.
Designed and implemented algorithms for searching for regions of the feature space
where the click-through rate prediction models exhibit high bias.
- Summer 2014: Research Scientist Intern, Amazon.com, Inc., Seattle, WA.
Worked on data center capacity forecasting for Amazon Web Services.
Created a new methodology that is based on machine learning and utilized for long-term capacity forecasting.
Per backtesting evaluations, the new method significantly reduced error compared to the incumbent AWS forecasting process.
- Dean's Scholar Fellowship (2016)
"The Dean's Scholar Fellowship is a one-year, non-renewable award presented by the Dean of the Graduate College in recognition of a student's scholarly achievement. The award is intended to provide the most distinguished, advanced-level graduate students with a period of time dedicated solely to the completion of their programs."
- Chicago Consular Corps Scholarship (2015)
"The Chicago Consular Corps Scholarship was created in 2007 as an annual scholarship by the Chicago Consular Corps, which is comprised of 79 international consular representative offices within Chicago. Nine scholarships are available for foreign students studying at UIC."
- BUTE Faculty of Sciences, Scientific Student Conference, Discrete Mathematics Section, 1st Prize and Special Prize of the President (2011)
- BUTE Mathematics Competition, 3rd Prize (2011)
- International Hungarian Mathematics Competition, 3rd Prize (2009)
- Investigating Rumor News Using Agreement-Aware Search.
Jingbo Shang, Tianhang Sun, Jiaming Shen, Xingbang Liu, Anja Gruenheid, Flip Korn, Ádám D. Lelkes, Cong Yu, and Jiawei Han.
To appear in Proceedings of the 2018 ACM on Conference on Information and Knowledge Management
- A Confidence-Based Approach for Balancing Fairness and Accuracy.
With Benjamin Fish and Jeremy Kun.
In Proceedings of the 2016 SIAM International Conference on Data Mining
- On the Computational Complexity of MapReduce.
With Benjamin Fish, Jeremy Kun, Lev Reyzin and György Turán.
In Proceedings of the 29th International Symposium on Distributed Computing
- Interactive Clustering of Linear Classes and Cryptographic Lower Bounds.
With Lev Reyzin. In Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Algorithmic Learning Theory
- Fair boosting: A case study. With Benjamin Fish and Jeremy Kun.
ICML 2015 Workshop on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency in Machine Learning
(FAT ML 2015).
- Network installation under convex costs.
With Alexander Gutfraind, Jeremy Kun and Lev Reyzin. In Journal of Complex Networks, Volume 4, Issue 2.
- Biclique coverings, rectifier networks and the cost of ε-removal.
With Szabolcs Iván, Judit Nagy-György, Balázs Szörényi and György Turán.
In Proceedings of the 16th International Workshop on Descriptional Complexity of Formal Systems
- Improved algorithms for splitting full matrix algebras.
With Gábor Ivanyos and Lajos Rónyai.
JP Journal of Algebra, Number Theory and Applications 28 (2013), 141–156.
- The computational complexity of MapReduce. Google Research NYC, February 2017.
- The computational complexity of MapReduce. NYU Tandon Theory Seminar, November 2016.
- Interactive clustering. NYU Machine Learning Seminar, September 2016.
- The computational complexity of MapReduce. Yahoo Research, August 2016.
- Biclique coverings and rectifier networks. Graduate Theoretical Computer Science Seminar, UIC,
- Improved algorithms for splitting full matrix algebras. Computer Science Seminar, UIC, September 2013
- Improved algorithms for splitting full matrix algebras. Algebra Seminar, U of Iowa, November 2012
- Small zero divisors in maximal orders of Mn(Q). Scientific Student Conference 2011, BUTE, November 2011
- Control method for a cooling system with variable cooling power and cooling system. European Patent Office, EP17155305.0 (patent pending)
- Control method for an electrically excited motor and inverter. United States Patent and Trademark Office, US 15/413,433 (patent pending)
- Control method for a converter and converter. German Patent and Trademark Office, DE 10 2016 004 282.6 (patent pending)
- Control method for a cooling system with variable cooling power and cooling system. German Patent and Trademark Office, DE 10 2016 001 824.0 (patent pending)
- Control method for an electromagnetic motor and inverter. German Patent and Trademark Office, DE 10 2016 000 743.5 (patent pending)
- Fall 2015: Introduction to Data Structures lab, UIC, Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science
- Fall 2014–Spring 2015: Precalculus discussion sections, UIC, Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science
- Spring 2014: Introduction to Computer Science lab, UIC, Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science
- Fall 2013: Calculus III lab, UIC, Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science
- Spring 2012: Calculus for the Biological Sciences discussion section, U of Iowa, Department of Mathematics
- Fall 2012: Calculus and Matrix Algebra for Business discussion section for undergraduate business majors, U of Iowa, Department of Mathematics
- Spring 2012: Mathematics EP2 (complex numbers, matrix algebra, ODEs, differential geometry of curves) for undergraduate students of architecture, BUTE, Department of Stochastics
- Fall 2011: Mathematicsa EP1 (differentation and integration, systems of linear equations) discussion section for undergraduate students of architecture, BUTE, Department of Stochastics
- Spring 2011: Mathematics A2a (linear algebra, function series, multivariable calculus) discussion section for undergraduate students of electrical engineering, BUTE, Department of Analysis
- Program committee member for ICML 2018, ICML 2017
- Conference reviewer for NIPS 2018, NIPS 2017, NIPS 2016, IJCAI 2016, ALT 2015
- Reviewer for Mathematical Reviews
- Hungarian: native
- English: fluent
- German: fluent