MTHT 430 Mathematical Analysis for Teachers I
Instructor: David Marker
Call Number: 12615
Class Meets: 5-8 W 219 TH
Office: 411 SEO
Office Hours: M 11:00-1:00, W 9:00-10:00, 4:00-5:00
phone: (312) 996-3069
course webpage: http://www.math.uic.edu/~marker/mtht430
We will cover chapters 1--8 of the text.
- M. Spivak, Calculus, Publish or Perish, Inc.
Grade of C or better in MATH 210 or consent of the instructor.
The main purpose of this course is to rigorously revisit many of the ideas
from Calculus I, including:
This is roughly Chapters 1-8 of Spivak.
- Properties of the Real Numbers
There will be frequent homework assignments.
This a theoretical course and it is expected to write proofs.
Selected homework problems will be graded.
You may discuss homework problems with other students, but you must write
up your solution independently. All proofs should be written neatly
with complete gramatical sentences.
Late homework will be accepted only in exceptional circumstances.
- There will probably be several quizes. Quizes and homework
will count for 30% of your final grade. The two lowest homework
scores will be dropped.
- There will be one midterm exam.
will count for 30% of your final grade. The midterm exam will
be on Wednesday October 13.
- The final exam will count for 40% of your final grade.
The final exam will be December 8 at 5:00.
- Problem Set 1 (Due September 1)
Chapter 1: 1 (ii),(iii), 3 (ii),(vi),
5 (iii), (viii), 7
- Problem Set 2 (Due September 8)Chapter 1: 12 iv), 14, 20,
Chapter 2: 1 ii),5,19
- Problem Set 3 (Due September 15)
- Problem Set 4: Chapter 3: 4,6,9,12,15 (Due September 22)
- Problem Set 5 (Due September 27)
- Problem Set 6 (Due October 6)
- Problem Set 7 (Due October 20)
- Problem Set 8 (Due October 27)
- Problem Set 9 (Due November 3)
- Problem Set 10 (Due November 10)
- Problem Set 11 (Due November 17)
- Problem Set 12 (Due November 24)
David Marker's homepage
Last revised: 12/1/04